Nucleo Director - YOURS Project
The People’s Music School is a totally free community music school located in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood. Founded in 1976, the School today offers music education to about 1,000 different students – most of which are children from low-income families. The People’s Music School Youth Orchestras, known as the YOURS (Youth Orchestras United Rita Simo) Project, is an intensive orchestral initiative based on the Venezuelan methodology commonly known as “El Sistema.”
The main responsibilities of the Nucleo Director are within the program and to the community. The Nucleo Director must ensure the health, quality, and development of the program within the Nucleo. The Nucleo Director must also act as a representative and ambassador of The People’s Music School to the community of the Nucleo, The position reports to YOURS Project Director and the Executive Director. Salary is full time with excellent benefits.
Primary individual duties include
- Develop, implement, and manage an El Sistema-based musical/social program design and curriculum at the Nucleo
- Hire, train, manage, and evaluate program administrative staff and faculty members
- Recruit, train, manage, and evaluate volunteers as needed
- Maintain, care for, and inventory program instruments
- Develop necessary program materials: databases, handbooks, contracts, permission slips, etc.
- Monitor and evaluate musical development of students, ensuring that progress is being made and quality (state and national) standards are exceeded
- Monitor and evaluate progress towards the social goals of the program
- Help to develop assessment/evaluation tools to measure the overall efficacy of the program
- Manage and stay within the budget of the program
- Plan and implement concerts
- Work with YOURS Project Director and Development Director to define marketing materials for program year
- Work with YOURS Project Director and Operations Manager to facilitate smooth operational support in activities such as securing busses, arranging large events, etc.
- Act as managing liaison between Nucleo faculty and staff to meet annual performance goals and internal expectations.
- Be available to program staff and School administration during reasonable hours
- Work with the principal of the host school to ensure compliance with local school district policies and procedures
- Manage communication with the parents of students in the program, being attentive to feedback and encouraging family involvement as needed.
- Seek out, manage, and nurture relationships with community partners and public officials. Develop relationships and effectively collaborate with community and program partners
- Professionally represent the People’s Music School and the YOURS Project to outside constituents at meetings, concerts, and other events
Additionally, as one of a small team of full-time employees, the position will also be expected to support other miscellaneous duties necessary to advancing the YOURS Project and the mission of the People’s Music School. This includes tasks such as participating in meetings, helping with concerts, and other duties as needed.
How to apply
For more details and to apply, contact:
YOURS Project Director
The People’s Music School