If students meet the requirements listed below, they do not have to stand in line to register at the beginning of each school year. These policies and requirements are elaborated on further in our student handbook (PDF).
In order to maintain student privilege, each student is asked to commit to the following:
- Demonstrate development in his/her musical studies
- Attend weekly music theory classes
- Attend weekly group or private instrument lessons
- Attend at least one Repertory Class per semester (students in Theory G or higher only)
- Participate in juries
- Complete volunteer hours
- Participate in end of session student concert and rehearsals
- Participate in fundraising
- Adhere to the attendance policy
- Keep his/her membership card current
Alan Pierson, a former student of the People's Music school was named Artistic Director of the Brooklyn Philharmonic on January 19, 2011. The newly elected chairman of the board, Jack W. Rainey, noted, "We have recommitted ourselves to serving New York City's largest and most musical borough-Brooklyn! Alan Pierson is a brilliant choice to forge this new artistic vision. An exciting and inspiring musician and leader, he is well-connected to the breadth of groundbreaking new music being generated in Brooklyn and beyond. Alan has impressive ideas, intellect, experience, and a deep commitment to the Borough-we feel this is exactly what is needed to create the new Brooklyn Philharmonic."
Do you have great news to share like Alan? We would love to hear from you! Please join the People's Music School Facebook page to share your memories from your time as a student or feel free to contact with us directly with your story.